How These Were Collected
For an extended season of studying Psalms, whenever I came across a Scripture that stood up and shouted to me, I would record that Scripture in a notebook. There was no organizing theme or plan. I just loved each Scripture. They felt almost like my friends. They were affirming and faith-building
One morning as I was reading through them, I had a brilliant thought. I had been feeling a need to feed more on Scripture. Especially these scriptures. I found that pondering them in the heart cause you to:
* think more positively
* feel more hopeful
* be more energized
But I, like you, had little discretionary time. My brilliant thought: record these Scriptures so that I could play them while cooking, driving, bathing, etc.
Scripture affirmations are high-powered food supplements for your spirit.
They will build you up and change you in wonderfully surprising ways. If you haven't work with Scripture affirmations before, it's easy. Just keep reading below for instructions.
How I Have Used These Scriptures
I made the recording on my little walkman. The quality was not super, but I loved having these Scriptures so readily available to redeem mindless time. I found that the practice of listening to the tape kept my thinking more positive, kept my heart more God-centered.
What I know now, that I didn’t know at the time are two things:
1. My learning style requires a lot of order. Inadvertantly I collected Scriptures that followed a theme. My brain took hold of the Scriptures more readily because of the theme orientation. That’s why my little tapes of Scripture stirred my heart more deeply than the commercially produced tapes and CDs of Scripture read by professional.
• Discover your learning style.
• Discover what works for you and use it...especially find the Scriptures that speak to your heart!
2. Brain research is showing that you respond to your own voice much more than to some else’s voice delivering the same material. When I first started listening to my own tapes, I liked hearing my own voice. I wondered if this was a bit narcistic. Now I know that my brain and my voice have a type of synergy going here.
• Read Scriptures out loud. This will be a more powerful experience for you than reading them silently.
• Record you favorite Scriptures in you own voice. Try playing some soft, reflective music in the background as you record.
• If you know someone who has good recording equipment, ask them to help you with this.
Scriptures As A Springboard
Some Scriptures will speak to you louder and more regularly than others. Research these:
• Read them in context of the whole passage in which they occur.
• Do word studies on the most significant words in the Scriptures.
• Read commentaries.
• Listen to teachings based on these Scriptures.
Do some writing of your own:
• Keep good notes of your research.
• Let your research become part of the your meditation of your Scriptures.
• You will find your Scripture prayer expansive and flowing. Write it out. One method is to record as you pray and then transcribe.
The Scripture prayer CD, Prayer Affirmations for the Journey, came out of this process using many of the Scriptures below.
Some Suggested Scriptures for Starters
The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?
O taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusts in Him. Oh fear the Lord you saints, for there is no want to them that fear Him.
How excellent is Your lovingkindness, O God! Therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of Your wings. They shall be abundantly satisfied with the fatness of Your house; and You shall make them drink of the river of Your pleasures. For with You is the fountain of life; in your light we see light.
Let all those that seek You rejoice and be glad in You. Let such as love your salvation say continually, “the Lord be magnified”.
I will sing of Your power; yes, I will sing aloud of Your mercy in the morning: for You have been my defense and refuge in the day of my trouble. Unto You, O my strength, will I sing: for God is my defense, and the God of my mercy.
Truly my soul wits upon God, from Him comes my salvation. He only is my rock and my salvation; He is my defense; I shall not be gratly moved.
O God, You are my god, early will I seek You. My soul thirsts for You. My flesh longs for You in a dry and thirsty alnd where there is no water. To see Your power and Your glory, so as I have seen You in the sanctuary. Because Your lovingkindness is better than life my lips shall praise You. Thus wll I bless You while I live. I will lift up my hands in Your name. My souls shall be satisfied as with marrow an fatness. And my mouth shall praise You with joyful lips, when I remember You upon my bed and meditate on You in the night watches. Because You have been my help, therefore in the shadow of Your wings will I rejoice.
For You will light my candle: the Lord, my God will enlighten my darkness. For by you I have run through a troop; and by my God I have leaped over a wall.
You have given me the shield of Your salvation: and Your right hand has held me up. Your gentleness has made be great. You have enlarged my steps under me, that my feet do not slip.
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your ight, O Lord, my strength and my redeemer.
Some trust in chariots and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the Lord oour God. They are brought down and fallen, but we are risen, and stand upright.
He sent from above, He took me, He drew me out of many waters; He delivered me from my strong enemy, from them which hated me: for they were too strong for me. They prevented me in the day of my calamity: but the Lord was my stay. He brought me forth into a large place: He delivered me because He delighted in me.
You will show me the path of life: in Your presence is fullness of Joy: at Your right hand there are pleasures forevermore.
One thing I have desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord all the days of my life.
My flesh and my heart fail, but: God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Who is so great a god as our God? You are the God that does wonders. You have declared Your strength among the people. You have with Your arm redeemed Your people.
For the Lord God is a sun and shield: the Lord will give grace and glory. No good thing will He withhold from them that walk uprightly. O Lord of Hosts, blessed is the man that trusts in You.
Those that be planted in the house of the Lord shall flourish in the courts of our God They shall bring forth fruit in oldd age; they shall be fat and flourishing.
Be sure to read these, if you haven't already:
Confession of Faith: Understanding the dynamic of Scripture prayer
Praying Scripture: simple intro to the dynamic of Scripture prayer
Scripture Prayer Proclamations: a must-read! Scripture prayer proclamations and Scripture prayer affirmations are almost inter-changable
Power of Scripture Words
The Names of God: A list with Scripture references to use in your Scripture Prayer Proclamations